Cristiano Ronaldo taken off FIFA 19 social media by EA

Cristiano Ronaldo taken off FIFA 19 social media by EA Sports amid allegations of rape against cover star

One of Cristiano Ronaldo’s biggest sponsors removed pictures of him from its website and Twitter account after saying it was ‘closely monitoring’ rape allegations against the footballer.

The images later reappeared on the computer games company EA Sports’ website after the Daily Mail raised questions about it.

Ronaldo, 33, is the face of the firm’s FIFA 19 computer game, in what is understood to be a multi-million-pound deal.

EA Sports said it had not deleted images of the player, although this ‘may have been mistakenly taken as action on our part’ during updates to its website.

It came after the company released a statement saying: ‘We have seen the concerning report that details allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo.

‘We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values.’

Meanwhile, shares in the player’s current club, Turin-based Juventus, plummeted by 10 per cent yesterday – equivalent to £114.5million.

 

it comes after Nike said on Thursday it was ‘deeply concerned’ about claims made by Kathryn Mayorga. The sportswear firm is Ronaldo’s biggest sponsor, having signed a lifetime deal in excess of $1billion (£763million) with him in 2016.

Miss Mayorga, 34, a former teacher, has filed a US lawsuit claiming Ronaldo raped her on June 13, 2009, in his penthouse suite at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas.

She met him at Rain, a nightclub that forms part of the resort, on a night out with friends. She said this week she ‘wants justice’ over the alleged incident after previously signing a non-disclosure agreement for £270,000.

 

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *